20 slices whole grain panini bread
11⁄4 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
5 medium-sized tomatoes, cored and cut into 1⁄4” slices
12 oz spinach, stems removed
Spinach-Basil Pesto (makes about 1 cup)
2 packed cups of basil (about 1 large bunch)
3 packed cups spinach, stems removed (about 1⁄2 lb spinach)
1⁄4 cup frozen peas (defrosted)
1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 lemons, juiced
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄3 cup olive oil
To prepare pesto:
1) Put basil, spinach, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food
2) With the food processor running, add olive oil in a steady stream until pesto
reaches a smooth consistency. Pesto can be used immediately or transferred to
a container for storage in a refrigerator for up to a week.
To assemble each panini:
1) Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp pesto on one piece of panini bread.
2) Place 3 slices tomato, one loosely-packed 1⁄4 cup spinach, and 1⁄4 cup shredded
mozzarella on top, then top with second slice of panini bread
3) Using a panini machine, press panini until cheese is melted and bread is
toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Paninis can also be toasted in a preheated 375°F
oven on a sheet pan sprayed with oil, or on a griddle set to medium-high heat.
Turn over after 3 minutes, then remove from heat and immediately serve when
cheese is melted.