Winter Chef Partner Recipe
Chef Raquel graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education after completing her externship at Le Bernardin.
In 2009, Chef Raquel created A Pinch of Salt, which offers hands-on cooking instruction focused on healthy, delicious meals. Chef Raquel’s commitment to healthy cooking was recognized both near and far, leading to an invitation to the South Lawn for Former First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Campaign. She then joined Wellness in the Schools as a WITS Chef, and worked with us for several years.
Chef Raquel is passionate about helping start up food entrepreneurs succeed. She consults, provides ServSafe training and culinary training for small businesses in Fairfield County. She can also be found doing cooking demos, workshops and classes for The Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative, local organizations, recreational centers, food pantries and senior centers.
Recipe: Three Sister Tacos
Recipe Prepared by Chef Raquel Rivera-Pablo
1 small spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
1 small red onion, minced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-15 oz. can of low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 lime, zest and juice
salt & pepper to taste
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rub each half of the spaghetti squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking dish lined with foil and roast until tender, approximately 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly. Use a fork to scrape the inside flesh until it shreds into spaghetti strands. Set aside.
3. In a pan, warm 1 Tbs. of olive oil and cook onion until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds then add beans and corn. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Add the zest and juice of the lime and cilantro to the bean-corn mixture.
5. To assemble: Heat a corn tortilla in a pan. Fill tortilla with spaghetti squash and bean-corn mixture over the top and more cilantro. Enjoy!
Chef Notes: To make spaghetti squash in a hurry, cut a slit in the squash lengthwise then use a fork to poke holes throughout. Place in the microwave and cook on High for 5 minutes. Remove and then cut completely in half where you make the slit. Remove seeds. Take one or both halves and place cut side down in a baking dish. Fill with water, covering the squash by 1 inch. Microwave on High for 5 minutes, and then in 2 minute intervals until squash is tender. Remove, drain, and scrape the pulp and season with salt and pepper!